left our open thread: rewards

Friday, February 13, 2009

rewards


"HOLA SOY RAFA," was the e-mail subject line, all cut to the chase and appropriately bold, sent from a force to be reckoned with. The grindstone must be wearing away under this kid; I picture him as powering through. He tells me of working three jobs for eight months in order to save for an immigration lawyer. He tells me of gearing up to take on college calculus, "AGAIN," he asks his usual questions. Somehow I've become the fount of, "how does this work?" but I can't see that he needs me. I'm still glad he comes around. This boy will make it, circumstances be damned. I tell him, "I have to believe," and I do.

He was only my student for his senior year; I don't remember helping him much. I didn't even go to his graduation; unthinkable as that is now. But regardless and because, he has trusted me to know, so when this kid whom I so much admire says, "I hope we keep in touch," I take it as a compliment.

0 Comments: